Why Financial Coaching?
We all have dreams and many of us have a plan for our life and family. Whether we realize those dreams will heavily depend on how well we steward our resources in fulfilling our daily needs while preparing for our future. Most people don’t have the financial skills in planning, budgeting, and investing to be as successful as they could be, because these competencies are rarely taught within families or educational institutions.
Most people have a vision, and if not, at least some general ideas of what they want their career/job, marriage, children, hobbies, faith, and lifestyle to reflect in order to have a happy and purposeful life. What some fail to appreciate is the importance of financial knowledge, a budget, and the stewardship required to achieve these goals.
Who Should Consider Financial Coaching?
Financial coaching is for people who want greater control and empowerment over their money, so they can get out of debt, achieve their goals, build wealth, give generously, and live out their purpose. There’s no better time than now to start making better financial decisions. Whether you are 16, 75, or any age in between, you can benefit from a personal financial coach.
If one or more of these statements apply to your life, you could benefit from a financial coaching:
- Worrying you’re 1 or 2 paychecks away from missing payments on a mortgage, minimums on credit cards, auto payments, or student loans
- Losing sleep over a possible job loss because you have no emergency fund to cover expenses until the next job
- Stressing on how you’re going to send your child to college
- Paying late on bills due
- Juggling money around to keep one step ahead of the next payment
- Asking family and friends for loans
- Defaulting on your promise to pay back on loans from friends and family
- Thinking bankruptcy may be the way out of your financial mess
- Worrying about whether you’ll have enough to live on in retirement
- Borrowing against your 401K to pay your bills
- Wishing you had money to tithe or give something to those in need
What Is Financial Coaching?
Financial coaching is a journey with a knowledgeable financial partner who will do one or more of the following depending on your current financial savviness:
- provide you with financial education and tools
- be a resource for vetting financial options
- make recommendations
- challenge you dream and define life goals
- teach basic budgeting skills
- help you identify and overcome financial obstacles
- be an accountability partner
Financial coaches shouldn’t have direct affiliation with investment firms, so they don’t have any bias when helping you make the best financial decisions. You’re paying a coach for perspective, tools, and knowledge without having a financial interest in your choices.
What Can You Expect From Your Coach?
Although every coaching relationship is unique, a financial coach should:
- assess your financial acumen
- understand your current financial situation
- determine your financial goals
- review your current budget
- help you develop a financial plan
- make recommendations to reduce expenses or make more income
- answer financial questions
- help you define actionable steps
- provide hope
Some goals of financial coaching are to:
- support you in developing a life vision and financial plan to achieve it
- empower you with financial information to ask the right questions, evaluate options, and make sound financial decisions
- increase your motivation, self-confidence, and skills in budget execution
- create strategies that allow you to achieve your goals while meeting your budget constraints
If you would like to learn more or schedule a session with a Certified Dave Ramsey Master Financial Coach, please contact Sandra Dillon.